Ear Pain Treatment
Ear congestion, persistent earaches, and dizziness. Vertigo, ringing or whistling in the ears can all be traced back to temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD or TMJ disorder). Ear pain is a common symptom of TMJ disorder or TMD.
Ringing in the ears
TMJ disorder is a condition that affects a person’s jaw joint. This joint is a very important component in the mouth it is responsible for all functions of the jaw, including chewing, eating, and speaking. Over-activity of your jaw can make your ear canal sensitive and can result in a multitude of symptoms.
- Your ear has two important muscles:
- Tensor tympani is a muscle attached to the ear drum, stabilizing it from excess vibration caused by loud sounds
- Tensor Levi Palatini is a muscle that’s attached to the Eustachian tube helping to equalizing pressure within the inner ear. It is what unplugs your ears when you chew gum or suck a hard candy in an airplane.
Jaw misalignment and the over-compensation of these muscles can lead to a multitude of symptoms related to your ears. These symptoms are the result of having a strained bite when the jaw is not aligned.
Misaligned Bite Symptoms
The jaw area is a complex network of muscles and nerves. When the bite is misaligned, muscles and nerves throughout the head, including the ears, can be affected. The most common and obvious effect is persistent ringing in the ears.
It can also lead to:
- Ear pain or discomfort (earaches)
- Impaired or restricted hearing
- Congested or stuffy feeling in your ears
- Sinus pain
By stabilizing and realigning your jaw, your bite will be restored to its normal position, relieving the problems in your ears caused by the misaligned bite.
Dr. Mike and Dr. Sara Deldar can relieve the discomfort and stabilize your jaw so that you can live comfortably. Contact Deldar Dental for a free consultation.
Deldar Dental ear pain treatments realated to TMJ in Noblesville, Carmel, Fishers, Indianapolis, Lapel, Westfield, and surrounding areas.