Braces – they’re just for kids, right? Actually, they’re not. While kids and teens are typically the ones we all see wearing braces, the fact is that adults can get them too. In fact, if your Noblesville dentist has recommended adult braces, the reason is likely more than just cosmetic.
3 Reasons Why You Should Consider Adult Braces
It is typically thought that the only reason an adult would invest in orthodontics is because they wanted a Hollywood smile. Having a beautiful smile is definitely something to be desired, but aesthetics is just scratching the surface.
There are three main reasons why you should consider talking to your Noblesville dentist about orthodontics.
1. You Have Crowded Teeth and Can’t Clean Them Properly
Sometimes crowding is so severe that toothbrush bristles can’t reach every part of every tooth. And, at times, the teeth can fit together so tightly that it is almost impossible to slide a piece of floss between each tooth. The result is a buildup of plaque, tartar and bacteria – all of which can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
2. Malocclusion Is Causing You a Lot of Pain
Malocclusion is what happens when your teeth does not fit together properly. This can happen because of a difference in size between your upper and lower jaws, the size and shape of your teeth, and how your adult teeth grew into your mouth.
Over time teeth can shift, especially if you’ve lost teeth. If that’s the case, opposing and neighboring teeth shift to fill in the gaps. Malocclusion – whatever its cause – can lead to tooth, jaw, head, and neck pain.
3. Your Bite Is Contributing to Chipped or Broken Teeth
Teeth have what amount to hills and valleys, and opposing teeth fit together like puzzle pieces. If your bite is off, your teeth will touch where they’re not meant to, which can result in enamel chipping or even the fracture of one or more cusps.
Why are clear aligners such as Invisalign a good alternative to traditional braces?
Some people still need traditional braces but more patients are able to wear clear braces, also known as Invisalign. Why would clear braces be ideal for you?
- They’re nearly invisible — they won’t cause embarrassment or distractions while you’re trying to work.
- It will be easier to clean your teeth. With traditional braces, you would have to thread your floss between each bracket in order to floss every tooth. On the other hand, all you have to do with Invisalign is remove them, and then brush and floss as you normally would.
- Eating is much easier too. Invisible braces are removed while eating, so you don’t have to worry about anything getting caught in your braces. You can also eat anything you want, whereas harder foods can sometimes cause traditional brackets to pop off.
- Invisalign braces will not only keep you looking great throughout your treatment period; they will help you take better care of your teeth during this time. Better care means less chance of decay or gum issues.
Talk to Your Noblesville Dentist Today About Braces After 40
Despite what most people think – braces aren’t just for kids. They can benefit people of all ages. With orthodontic treatment, you can see an improvement in dental health and even pain reduction. And, as icing on the cake, you won’t be able to help but put your new and improved, beautiful smile on display.
Are you ready to talk to your dentist about braces? Then give us a call. We would love to answer all of your questions and show you how orthodontic treatment can benefit you personally.